Financial Assistance and Childcare

Student Assistance Fund / Student Hardship Fund / Benefactions

The financial support available in college are the Student Hardship Fund, the Student Assistance Fund and childcare bursaries. They are administered by the Senior Tutor's Office. Claure Laudet, your tutor, is away until mid-August but it would be worth giving the office a call and asking about your eligibility for one of these supports so you can plan ahead. Their office number is + 353 1 896-2551. These funds are issued internally by the Senior Tutor’s Office in TCD. The Student Assistance Fund is a European funded initiative and the Harship Fund is an internal college financial assistance fund. The application process for both forms of financial assistance is the same.

You can read more information on the funds here:

You can download the application form here:

It may be useful to meet with the Undergraduate Support Officer, Helen Richardson, in the Senior Tutor’s Office to discuss whether or not it would be worthwhile applying. You can contact her on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 01-8961905

A number of Benefactions (bursaries/grants) are available to students in specific circumstances e.g. on the basis of course, gender, background. It may be useful to browse the available benefactions through this link:

Student Union's Childcare Assistance Fund

Every year the SU awards a financial grant to a number of student parents. This year, the grant amount is €30 over 20 weeks and is paid directly to a registered childcare provider. It is awarded to the students deemed to be in the greatest need. This will be advertised in the SU email at the start of the college year and is applied for through the welfare email address. For more information contact the Welfare and Equality Officer at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

The Community Childcare Subvention

The CCS is another bursary available to parents. The TCD Nursery is a part of the scheme. When applying it is only the PPSN numbers of one parent and the child that are put on the form meaning that if you are not a lone parent, your partners benefits are not taken into account. If you currently have a medical card, especially if the child is over 6, and are receiving jobseekers or BTEA then it is likely you will be eligible for the CCS payment. Have a look at their criteria here:

Forms and information available from the TCD crèche on 018961938

You can contact the Department of Youth and Children’s Affairs for more information on 016473000

Community Resources

There are also community charity resources such as Saint Vincent De Paul and your local Community Development Project which can offer bursaries for childcare in college. It would be worth talking to their offices and other charity organizations in your area to see if they can offer support.

Back to Education Allowance

You may be eligible for BTEA (back to education allowance) if you are returning to education. You can find more information on your eligibility for BTEA here:

They also have a general outline of the scheme here:

If you have specific questions you could call their offices at 017043000

Creche have free childcare year with the nursery. Free year that the government give & what other forms of payment do they accept.

ECCE Scheme

The free preschool year in early childcare and Education scheme offers on free year in pre-school care for ages 3-5. Call the TCD nursery for information on how to apply.

You can also find more information here

  • Trinity College Students' Union
    House 6,
    Trinity College Dublin,
    Dublin 2
    D02 FD37

  • (01) 6468 431
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Opening Hours

Monday 9:30 - 17:00
Tuesday 9:30 - 17:00
Wednesday 9:30 - 17:00
Thursday 9:30 - 17:00
Friday 9:30 - 17:00

Closed Saturday/Sunday/Bank Holiday

© Trinity College Dublin Students' Union